Sunday 8 February 2015

Gluten-free Banana and chocolate bread

As I was getting a bit bored of my buckwheat porridge I decided to make a not-too-sweet banana bread to have for breakfasts (ok, and morning, afternoon and evening!) this week.
I was worried the almond flour might leave it a bit dense but it was really light and fluffy. I added a few superfoods (chia, raw cacao) and prunes to give it a bit more sweetness. Delish.
(This recipe is an adaptation of Hemsley and Hemsley's banana bread.)





Ingredients:
2 large ripe bananas
3 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp rice malt syrup
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp lemon juice
230g ground almonds
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp raw cacao nibs
sprinkle of Himalayan salt
2 tbsp chopped prunes
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds (you could use any seeds or chopped nuts)

Method:
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C and line a loaf tray with baking paper.

Mash the banana in with the melted coconut oil and mix well. Add the syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, eggs, lemon juice, prunes, bicarb and salt and mix well.
Stir in the ground almond, chia, cacao nibs and mix well until thoroughly combined. Pour into the tin and bake for just over an hour.
Serve warm or toasted!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious Ruthy T. I am going to a brunch next weekend which if I can find the time I will make this for.

    I'm getting the ingredients delivered for H&H mint choc pave on Saturday to give me an option when I want something sweet. I will let you know how the recipe goes x

    http://www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/recipe/mint-choc-pave/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh I've been meaning to try those! Yes let me know how they go - I'll do you a trade for some of my raw cocoa truffles! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete